Friday, November 02, 2018

Yep. Still like my job

I got a flood of questions while at work today. It wasn't that the questions were hard but they came at the same time. Two young sisters approached wanting very particular book recs for a 5 and 7 year old.
While helping them a teacher came wanting books for a lesson she was planning for the transcontinental railroad.
And another came asking for the pop up books we keep in the closed stacks in my bosses office.
-to name a few-

Easy. But not at the same time. Besides the pop up lady they all deserved more attention than I had. Especially the girls. Nothing I suggested was in their reading level.I finally set the 7 year old with some and settled down the with the 5 year old who had said she definitely surpassed those easy beginner books.
I gave her Mo Willems books, an easy and fantastic choice.
No, they were too hard.
I ended up spending a good ten-fifteen minutes with this girl trying to find books that she would like and were in her reading range.
I ended up getting a box of beginner books, the same ones she had told me she had gone passed, sat down on the floor and watched her as she sounded out each letter and morphed it together to make a word. She struggled through and I nudged her along. These were clearly the books she needed.  She was so excited. I asked her name.. Diana. She wanted me to show her how to check out her treasures. I explained her mom needed to come with her card. She rushed off to retrieve her mom. As they were heading out of the library, Diana held her little sisters hand and almost walked into an old lady because she was very focused on saying hello and goodbye to me and showing me her box of books.

I had been surly as I came to work today. I have other things to do. I had been frustrated that I couldn't get anyone an easy answer but this moment with this girl, helping her sound out letters and her farewell totally made my day.

No comments: